Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Teachers say the darndest things


It is just not fair. I wish from the bottom of my heart that every one of my friends had been there. I'm currently taking Human Resource Management at the University of Stockholm and there is general consensus by the students that the teachers and English isn't exactly a match made in heaven. It is almost like that the teachers all decided that the only correct pronunciation is the one closest to Swedish phonetics and if they don't know a word a good way to cover is to simply use the Swedish equivalent, with a strong English accent. In the long run this can be somewhat infuriating but sometimes.. Sometimes there is a gem that the whole world ought to have understood. And here is that gem..

While sitting in class, almost daydreaming as it was unusually uninformative, our teacher suddenly feelt she had to clarify something. But before that, a description of the teacher is a must. She is around seventy years old and thinks that it is perfectly appropriate with just a little bit of cleavage. That means that you can accidentally catch a glimpse of her voluptuous old wrinkled chest and just enough to scar you for life. So back to her clarification! Swedes will get this immediately but the rest of you will get an explanation afterwards. But don't worry.. I think you'll get the point any way.

"Hemm! Just to clarify.. Waiters in a restaurant can easily be replaced as they are easily trained but a really good and experienced cock (not cook) is just so hard to find"

If you missed it re-read the last part. The first time she said I thought that I had misheard what she said. I just couldn't have heard that correctly. But then..

"A good cock is something that can't be easily replaced and is often a HUGE asset to the restaurant. Especially if the cock is specially trained."

This is where I lost it. I started to look around the classroom and when I saw how everyone's faces was starting to squirm I just couldn't hold it in! I tried to mask the laughter with a cough but only made it sound like an alien mating call and the whole class bursted out laughing. The best thing was that the teacher thought it was the mating call that had triggered the class and she started to laugh as well while shaking her head at me. After that I had to pinch myself while at the same time going through the whole family tree just not to loose it again. For all you English speaking out there. The Swedish word for cook sounds almost exactly like the english word cock.

Give my regards to the chef.

No comments: