Monday, March 19, 2007

The kids are our future


I'm going to hell for sure. Why can I never just stop before things get out of hand?

Today my nephew had a Laserdoom birthday party. This involves that you put on a big flashing suit, getting a small gun (which basically is a laser pointer) and every time you get hit your suit vibrates for a second or two. There had somehow been a misunderstanding by the kids that it actually hurt when you got hit, so most of them were a bit nervous.

I get to my nephew's school where I was supposed to help transport all the kids to the Laserdoom place and three kids were handed out to me. Can you believe this? People are actually trusting me with other people's kids now a day?

Our little quartet went to my car (aka the Batmobile) and the first thing the kids say is "Wow! What a cool car!" and start raving about it. This kind of threw me of at first, but made me feel a lot less hostile towards the little creatures. I thought that this might not be such a terrible thing. But then.. Ten seconds in to the ride the kid who called shotgun started to talk about his dad's car.. How much bigger it was bla bla bla and here is where things went sour.

I smoothly just mentioned the subject about Laserdoom being painful and the kids did a great work amongst themselves of getting scared. Then I casually mentioned that I used to laserdoome quite a lot when I was small and here is the part that kids have to learn. Don't trust everything an adult tells you. Sometimes he's just not a nice person. Sometimes.. Sometimes it could be me your dealing with. Write that down.

The kids explode into a frenzy of questions, most of which had something to do with the pain level of being hit and I did the only thing I could do in such a situation. I scared the shit out the little buggers. I told them how their legs could give out from the pain but how it was worth it because you could do the same to everyone else and boy did I get their attention. Now they spoke even faster than before and I think that one of them actually started to hyper-ventilate at one point.

We finally get to the place and the little rats runs straight up to my big brother with their scared little faces and start telling on me all the things I said in the car to them. Shit.. Here comes lecture I thought, but then I almost got a tear in my eye from the joy of having such a great family.

My brother simply responded "Hey! There is no need to worry! You see.. You can choose between two settings. So the gun either just really burns like hell or it can make you bleed. See? No problem.". Then my brother's wife had to sort everything out and ruin it. But I still would like to think that I hopefully scarred the younglings at least a little bit.

I love kids.

No comments: